Not sure what to keep in your guitar case?
Here’s my list of accessories that every guitar player should keep with them.
- Extra picks, and not random ones. You should always carry your favorite brand and thickness of picks. The wrong kind of pick can throw off your technique in the middle of a show.
- Two sets of spare strings. You might not think you would break the same string twice during one night, but I have seen it happen more than once.
- A wire clipper, for clipping off the ends of new strings. If you’ve never been stabbed in the thumb by a wayward string, trust me… you don’t want to.
- 9 volt batteries. Having your distortion pedal run out in the middle of a gig sucks. Bonus points for rechargeable batteries.
- A tuner. I prefer Snark tuners. They’re pretty inexpensive, easy to see in the dark, and they clip to the headstock, which means they don’t pick up too much outside noise.
- Fingernail clippers, just in case you forget to trim your nails. Long fingernails can really get in the way of properly fretting chords and scales.
- A string winder. These are handy for changing strings quickly. Not only that, but some acoustic guitars have those little pegs in the bridge, and you’ll need to get them out to change strings.
What about you? What do you keep in your guitar case? Let us know in the comments section below. Oh, and if you’re looking for guitar lessons in Portland, click here!
“…Rick takes the time to develop lesson-plans that focus specifically on what I want to learn, the way I need to learn it. …my guitar skills have increased more in just a few months with Rick than I would have thought possible…”
-Daniel R, Portland OR